The CDC recommends cleaning your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; and if you cannot, then a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
This may cause irritation and dryness for some, especially with overuse, plus hand sanitizers may not remove all the germs so hand washing is always preferred. I know I promote low toxin living but sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. If you are in a high exposure situation, have no access to soap and water, and cannot find a non-toxic sanitizer, then, by all means, please use what you have available. But if you do have the choice please follow my recommendations.
The ingredients to look out for: Fragrance - this is a catch-all term that may include over 3000 harmful chemicals like phthalates and PEG which can cause endocrine disruption (thyroid, estrogen, insulin/obesity) Benzalkonium chloride - rated a 6 by the EWG. This is a preservative and antimicrobial which may lead to skin/respiratory irritation and antibiotic resistance Dermal penetration chemicals such as isopropyl myristate and propylene glycol may increase the absorption of BPA from thermal paper eg receipts. So avoid unnecessary contact with receipts after using hand sanitizers.
Which hand sanitizers to purchase instead:
Join my newsletter to receive even more non-toxic living tips and recommendations here: JOIN THE NEWSLETTER